When Windows 10 was first released back in July of 2015, it was available at no charge for one year. As long as you had a valid Windows 7, 8 or 8.1 license, you could upgrade to Windows 10 for free. The promotion ran from the OS’s release until July 29, 2016. So I guess, since it is February of 2019, that you can’t get it for free anymore. Right?
Is Windows 10 Still Free?
The answer is yes! As of this writing, you can still upgrade to Windows 10 for free. The free upgrade promotion might have ended in 2016, but the ability to upgrade for free did not. Today, you can still upgrade to Windows 10 as long as you have a valid Windows 7, 8 or 8.1 key. Upon completion, you computer will be activated with a digital license. This works for Home and Pro operating systems only. Enterprise additions are not eligible.
How To Upgrade to Windows 10 for Free
There is no trick to upgrading Windows 10 for free. All you need to do is do it! Just follow these instructions:
- Navigate to the Windows 10 download page by clicking HERE
- Where is says ‘Create Windows 10 Installation Media’, click DOWNLOAD TOOL NOW
- After the download completes, Run the Media Creation Tool
- Note: You will be asked if you want to allow the Media Creation Tool to make changes to your computer. Select Yes.
- This will open the ‘Windows 10 Setup’ window
- Click Accept to accept the licensing agreement
- The Setup Wizard will display a screen that says ‘Getting a few things ready. This could take some time.
- Select Upgrade This PC Now, and click Next
- Note: You can also chose to create Windows 10 installation Media on a flash drive, DVD or ISO. You can use this media to upgrade other computers.
- Setup will now Download Windows 10
Completing the Free Windows 10 Installation
When the Windows 10 download is completed, Setup will walk you though the rest of the installation. You will have to decide whether to keep your apps and files, or to install a fresh copy of the OS. Please note that installing a fresh copy of Windows 10 will delete all your applications and your files. Please make sure you you have a recent backup of your data and apps before proceeding with this operation. Even if you intend to keep you apps and files, still make a backup.
After Setup completes and your computer reboots, you will have a valid and activated installation of Windows 10 for free. Your new license is now bound to your hardware, so you can reinstall Windows 10 over and over again with having to enter a key.
Activation usually happens instantly, but in some cases can take a while. If you’d like to check to see if Windows 10 is activated, do the following:
- Open Settings
- Click on Update & Security
- Select Activation
In the right panel you should see ‘Windows is activated with a digital license’.
You have now completed your Windows 10 upgrade.